Saturday, March 29, 2014

More Wallets and How To Make Them




So I'm addicted to making the wallets.  I made 2 more for myself, which is very silly, it's not like I really have a lot of money to carry around.



I decided to write down notes, and drew out some diagrams for future use, because I have a suspicious feeling that once I get more magnetic buttons, I'm going to make quite a few more of them.
I did try to stop by the local fabric store to get some more of those buttons, but gusess what, the store is gone!  Just like so many business is this town... one disappearing after another. Now there is no fabric store in this town.

After all the time I put in on the notes, I thought it would be a waste if I just make a few more wallet myself, so I should share it with people on my blog.  Yeepee, my first sewing tutorial/pattern/whateveryoucallit.











So here it is, Folding Wallet.

  • Finished measurements when folded: 3 3/4" wide x 4 3/4" tall.
  • I used cotton fabric for everything, and fusible fleece. 
  • Nice thing about making this is that I can use up the little scrap pieces I've saved.
  • Besides fabric and thread, I used one 1/2" magnetic button. 


Fabric Cutting Guide
Cover, Lining, and Fusible Fleece:  5 1/2" x 8" each

Pockets
A:  5 1/4" x  8"
B:  5" x 8"
C:  5" x 8"
D:  7 1/4" x 8"
alternately, you can just use a single fabric and cut 8" x 21")
Button Tab
Fabric:  3" x 3 1/2"
Fusible Fleece:  1 1/2" x  3"





Instruction

*Seam Allowance = 1/4"
I used my serger for most seams except top stitching and straight lines. And of course the serge stitches can be replaced with zigzag stitches.

Pocket

1. With RS facing each other, serge (or sew) fabric A to fabric B along long edge.

2. With RS facing each other, serge the other long edge of fabric B to one long edge of fabric C.

3. With RS facing each other, serge the other long edge of fabric C to one long edge of fabric D.

4. Fold the piece like an according starting with fabric A edge:
Fold fabric A at 3". Fold at seam. Fold fabric B at 2 1/2" above the folded seam. Fold at seam. Fold fabric C at 2 1/2 above the folded seam. Fold at seam. Fold fabric D at 2 1/5" above folded seam.  Match the other edge of fabric D with bottom of fabric A. (Alternately, you can make it easier on yourself and just take a credit card and fold the fabric by placing it between folds.  This works well especially if you only use one long strip of 8"x 21" of one piece of fabric.)
Press.



5. Stitch a straight line along the center of pockets.



Cover and Lining

6.  Iron fleece to Lining.

7.  Serge along top long edge of the Lining/Fleece.
     Also, serge along the top edge of Cover.


8.  Sandwich the Cover, Pockets, and Lining/Fleece as such: Place at the bottom the Lining/Fleece (RS facing up.)  Then place the Pockets on top of Lining (RS facing up, and mach the bottom long edge to Lining.)  Then place the cover on top of Pockets (WS facing up.)



9.  Serge along the 2 short sides and the bottom long edge, leave the top edge open.



10.  Pull the wallet right side out, so the RS of cover is facing up.  Press.

11.  Secure the magnetic button onto the RS of Cover at about 2 1/2" from bottom edge, and 1" from side edge on the right.  Make sure only secure button through the Cover and Lining/Fleece, but NOT the pockets.


12.  Fold the top edges of Cover and Lining/Fleece about 1/2" inward. Press.



13.  With Cover racing up, top stitch 1/8" along the 4 edges of wallet.


Button Tab

14.  Serge along one short edge of Tab.

15. With RS facing each other fold the Tab in half lengthwise.

16.  Iron the Tab Fleece onto one half of the tab, matching at the non-serged short edge.

17.  Secure the other half of magnetic button onto the RS of Tab at the side with fleece ironed on.  Button placement is about 1" from the short edge and 7/8" from bottom long edge.


18.  With RS facing each other, serge the tab on all 2 edges (the long edge, and the short non-serged edge._

19.  Pull the Tab right side out. Press.

20.  Fold the open edges about 1/2" inward. press.

21. Top stitch along all 4 edges at 1/8" from edges.

22. Sew the tab onto wallet along the top stitching line at the left side of wallet.


23.  Press.


3 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is awesome! I will have to try making one (or five) of these - - they would make great handmade gifts. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. I can't wait to make this for my sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete